Thursday, April 26, 2012

Welcoming Front Porch

We have a front porch that changes almost as often as the direction of the wind during a Nebraska spring. There are so many events and holidays that scream for something special to welcome guests as they approach my front door.  I have my front porch ready for spring.  This year I opted for spiral topiaries and pansies.  In the years past I have done ferns, boxwood, flowering vines...  the list goes on.  I like to have a little something from the inside make it's way to the porch.  This spring I have a small accent table with birds on the handles.  I placed a lantern with a candle that illuminates the porch at night.  I do a variation of this by placing a lamp with a flowering potted plant.
I stuck a urn with similar tones to the stone on the front of my house in my landscape.  The urn adds height to the color I adore to have in the front of my house.  I like to see some flowers from the street. This urn does the trick!

2 years ago my poor husband consolidated all the boxwood from our landscaping to our front walkway.  This year my now hedge is coming together nicely.  I like how the boxwood stays green all winter and defines the walkway to the front porch.

I love changing what is on my front door.  I have pansies welcoming my guests right now, but that will soon change to a summer arrangement.  

I clearly have a thing for topiaries!  These guys put up with a lot.  They get bows regularly, christmas lights, footballs, baseballs, basketballs, bird nests, kids who pick the needles to add to their latest mud stew.  Lets just say they take a beating and continue to shine.  We have landscape lights that shine on these beauties at night.

No comments: