Tuesday, February 14, 2012

A Office for Mom!


My weekend project was to transform our front office into a inspirational space of my own.  The space was unused and was a horrible waste of square footage.  I'm so excited to have a place to store my sewing machine and ribbon and every other craft tool I own!  To start this transformation I needed a piece I could use for storage.  I found a china cabinet on craigslist for $40 that I thought would work perfectly!  Here is what it looked like Friday. 
                                    


In search of inspiration I found myself being drawn to a unexpected color.  I'm calling it citrine.  It is bright and bold and it just makes me happy.  I bought a set of spider back chairs from a hotel close out sale where they were getting rid of all their furniture about 10 years ago.  They were $20 and I remember thinking at the time I don't know this is a lot of money?!  I painted 2 of those chairs with a high gloss citrine and recovered the seats.  Here is one that I'm trimming out with silver nail head trim that I found in the damaged pile at Hancock for $4.
                                                                                                                                                                               


Here is the after picture of my new craft storage unit!

Here is my finished chair.


I had this fabric I made the pillow out of in my craft closet.  I cut it on the bias and I think the yellow in the plaid really pops next to the spider back chairs and china cabinet.


I can't help take advantage of the opportunity to add more light to my space.  These lamps and shades are from target.  They have been in the circulation at my house for the last couple of years.


I placed the chairs in my window, which is now screaming for a window treatment!




I love my unexpected pops of color!  When I'm flipping through my decorating magazines it is the unexpected that makes me stop and stare.  It might be a color, an unusual line in a piece of furniture, or a piece of art that stops me in my tracks.  Tell us about what unexpected things you are introducing to your decor!  We can't wait to hear about what inspires you.

No comments: