Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Silhouettes

My son came home and presented me with a silhouette he made in art class last year.  I was amazed how much of him I saw in that cut out of black construction paper!  I immediately framed it and placed it on my wall.  It is one of my most treasured art pieces!  I have been longing for a silhouette of my daughter, so on the last school break I got to work.  I took a picture of her profile standing against a plain wall.  Hint try to get the profile of their eyelashes.  Next step is to print out the picture on regular printer paper and color in the image with a black sharpie.  Place the now black image on your scanner and print on photo paper.  Cut out your image and display it to your hearts desire.  On a whim I decided I wanted to mount mine to a canvas.  Follow my crazy process below.

Here is the silhouette my son made for me at school.





This is the painting process

I glued the image on the canvas and then sprayed the whole thing with a high gloss poly.  

So it's not perfect.  Next time around I would take my black image to walgreens and blow it up big on one of their machines.  I should of used the smaller image in a small frame.  But you all can learn from my mistakes.




No comments: